Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Incident 4

So just last week I came to the conclusion that I feel sorry for the shoplifters I catch and want to hunt down the ones that get away. It’s funny because it’s a very fine line between the two. That fine line really divides the good shoplifters who know what they’re doing from the punks and drug addicts that are clueless to my existence as a silent, invisible guardian over the store. Ha, that’s sort of like that line at the end of the Dark Knight; I guess I’m kind of like Batman, except I don’t have a sweet car, awesome ninja skills, or unlimited resources, and I am stopping shoplifters to pay my bills.

But anyway back to my point, I really hate the ones that get away. I had one the other night that made me come to this conclusion. This skater boy and his girlfriend were in the store the other day and the punk I guess was trying to look cool for he lady and decided to steal some cologne. Well as stated earlier there are two types of shoplifters, those that know what they are doing and those that don’t. Well, this genius notice our camera dome on the ceiling and decides that he’s going to watch it to make sure that it doesn’t run off and tattle…as he stuffs the cologne in his pocket. If only they were all this easy. Then something happened that ruined my night and the next day as well it made me so mad. One of those pesky technicalities in policy popped up and prevented me from ruining his night and embarrassing him in front of his lady friend. But I still watched hoping beyond hope that he’d slip up, and open another door for me to stop him, but it never happened.

But the entire time I was doing surveillance I got to see what a little girl this punk was. He incessantly stared at the cameras, clenched his fists, then wiped his sweaty palms on his pants, and kicked his heels; all of these are slight signs of stress to say the least. After he left the store I almost put a dent in my door and wall I was so mad. Its not so much that he stole a $15 bottle of cologne, as it is that I had to sit there and watch, and I could not do a dang thing about it. The last thing I have to say on this matter, as it is still a sore subject, is that I am happy that there is one thing you can always rely on, that a happy shoplifter comes back, and I got news for you skater boy, next time you’re not getting off so easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment