Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Incident 2

So a week or so later after this first incident, I was working a close shift again. You will notice that a lot of these happen close to our closing…which is one of the most annoying things I have found about shoplifters, they always come when its is the least convenient. So again I was scanning the floor before the close, when I saw a young woman enter the purse department. For the sake of simplicity we will call her Sally Shoplifter. Sally had a large, relatively empty hand bag with her, which is a good hint that she may be planning to steal. When I began watching her she already had a scarf that belonged to us. She entered purses and selected a Dooney and Bourke purse (my spelling may be off, like I said I don’t know much about shopping, especially not about purses). So I’m watching Sally, and wouldn’t you know it, not more than 30 seconds after she picks up the purse she is stuffing into her handbag. Thankfully again, as in the previous incident, she had no idea that we had cameras, and that again she was giving me a front row seat to a show I don’t mind watching, because it spices up my night a lot. After concealing the purse Sally pulls her purse up onto her shoulder, so I am assuming that she will buy the scarf which is much less expensive, and use that as a cover so that we think she was a legitimate shopper. But she was not willing to pay even the $15 for the scarf; moments after concealing the purse she stuffed the scarf into her bag as well.

Now its game time, I stuck my head out of my office and told management that I needed a witness to be there for the apprehension. By the time I had looked back to my monitors she was halfway between purses and the front door, which is approximately 25 feet, I however had to run from my office to the front doors which is in the back corner of the store…approximately 150-200 feet from the front doors. So I took off running, luckily for me there was not anyone on our main aisle so I could run up it. I later reviewed the tape, and clocked myself at reaching the front door no less than 5 seconds after leaving the office, I was cruising. I had to bulldoze through our front doors because they are slow to open on their own. I arrived outside, out of breath and behind Sally, who is nearing her car which is parked in the first row of spots. This time instead of the well rehearsed speech, all I got out was a gasping shout of “GIVE ME BACK MY MERCANDISE!!!” Needless to say, unsuspecting Sally was quite started and was very quick to agree to come back inside. She was very apologetic and was worried we would call the police. Well, if you do the crime you do the time, and since the purse she was stealing was $100, we sure were going to be pressing charges. Again, I felt bad, this girl twenty some odd years old was now setting herself up for a lifetime of trouble, and I don’t say that because she was a bad person, she was actually very nice, but a criminal record can really screw you over down the road no matter how nice of a person you are. I really regretted that she had to walk away in hand cuffs, but like I said, you do the crime, you do the time…

No comments:

Post a Comment